Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Liberalism (Pt.1)

You know.

I get tired of some things.

Yes, I believe that every human being has the right to believe, or say, what he or she wants no matter what it is.

However,

I get sick and tired of hearing such things as:

“Your kind are going to bring down this nation.”

“Liberalism is an excuse for having no brain.”

“You liberals are all the same, future democrats”

So on, and so forth.

***

At the moment, I deal with several individuals in my life - family members, and others who are this way. It is as if I am destined for hell, and there is no chance to be saved.

Why is it that liberalism is viewed as a plague?

Great and admirable people have been liberal.

John F. Kennedy, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, etc…

[I]“The American War of Independence established the first nation to craft a constitution based on the concept of liberal government, especially the idea that governments rule by the consent of the governed.”[/I]

Yes, yes, I know folks are going to say - “but they are not the modern definition of liberal.”

The point is, they were. They too, were looked down at because of them being liberal.

There is often the argument that being liberal equates to being idealistic, and not having a plan - or the like.

Folks, not everyone is built off the same blueprint. There are liberals out there, who do have plans. They have ways to do things, and some of them are good plans (in my opinion).

I think that it is the surge of extreme liberalism, those individuals who seemingly do not consider the consequences/the outcomes, that leads to some individuals to assume.

It is being used as the template, so to speak. Some folks are assuming that all liberals are extreme, and therefore…pointless, wild, willy-nilly, etc…

Also, left wing politics doesn’t represent all liberals.

Wrong folks.

That is called generalizing.

One size does not fit all.

Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Mao all generalized.

***

Being liberal is not a bad thing.

Free speech.

The right to vote.

Equality.

Tolerance.

Are these things bad?

I wouldn’t think they would be, but you know the catch is for some folks?

They’re the basis of liberalism. Suddenly, they’re wrong. The liberal process is wrong.

Liberties; individual rights of thought, and belief. Limitations on power (I.e. no dictatorships/theologies), law/justice, education for every citizen, free exchange of thoughts.

It is liberalism, that allowed you and I to blog on this very site.

It was liberalism, thinking outside of the status quo - that obtained women’s rights to vote, blacks the right to vote, and so on and so forth.

So, is liberalism bad? Is it really?

I for one do not feel it is.

What I do find bad, is intolerance, and generalization.


~Elindelwolf

3 comments:

Bryan said...

"Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Mao all generalized."

Traditional politics (I'm talking politics that extend WAAY back into the middle ages) actually would dictate that these four tyrants were actually hard-core conservatives. It would be rediculous to call Russia and China communist countries as they were actually authoritarian rulers seeking to consolidate power (the resembalence to monarchism is striking, which is where the extreme end of conservatism lies).

Also, it is impossible to even consider Hitler as a liberal leader. Rather, his regime was set up on a base of Nationalistic principals. Facism is actually extreme conservatism.

Also, Liberalism is the political term for freedom.

Oddly enough, most of this information comes from a history class and not a political science class.

Anonymous said...

Erm, I never said they were liberal. I said they generalized.

Bryan said...

I know. I just suggested that the fact that they are all generalized as such is incredible.