Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Rest in peace, Kurt

American literary idol Kurt Vonnegut, best known for such classic novels as "Slaughterhouse-Five" and "Cat's Cradle," died on Tuesday night in Manhattan at age 84, The New York Times reported on Wednesday.
(Source: Reuters.)

I noticed this article by chance while looking at articles on Reuters just as it was posted. I gasped when I saw it. I couldn't believe it.

Kurt Vonnegut was a great writer, and a very smart man. I only read one book of his, The Sirens of Titan, but I just loved it. I whole-heartedly think he was one of the greats. I've also looked at quotes of his, and I really appreciate and value his view of people, government, and the universe.

With most other famous people, I briefly acknowledge their death, and almost immediately move on. I think this man's death will linger with me for a bit. It really hit me. Plain and simple. I feel a genuine loss. The world has lost a smart man and a great mind. We still have his works, thankfully, but it just won't be the same without him.

I'm not sure what to say, except: Rest in peace, Kurt. We'll miss you.

No comments: